SLOUGH Town recorded a first win in the National League South in the New Year after a 1-0 victory against Chelmsford City on Saturday, writes Rob Stevens.

Slough had struggled for goals in recent weeks but a strike from midfielder Simon Dunn, his first of the season, was enough for the Rebels to compete a league double over promotion-chasing Chelmsford.

The Rebels made a bright start at Arbour Park and striker Chris Flood, making his 100th appearance for the club, and captain Sam Togwell both went close with headers from George Wells balls into the box.

The deadlock was broken four minutes before the break and the goal owed much to the desire of Warren Harris.

The wide midfielder won possession from Joe Anderson and crossed low into the box where Dunn scuffed a shot low into the ground and past keeper Nathan McDonald from six-yards.

The Chelmsford keeper got a glove to the ball but could not prevent Dunn from scoring his first goal this season and first since the victory at Basingstoke back in March 2018.

Slough had a chance to double their advantage just minutes into the second-half but Flood directed a header at the near post straight into the grateful arms of McDonald.

The Rebels had to defend for most of the second period however keeper Jack Turner did not have a save to make as the home side held on to secure all three points.

Slough joint-manager Jon Underwood told the Observer: “I’m delighted because it’s been a really tough week. We’ve played the teams in first, third and fourth and come away with four points, so we feel a lot better now than we did this time last weekend.

“We’ve had a real good response to the Torquay game with two clean sheets at home against two of the top four sides, so I’m absolutely delighted.

“It was obviously a very tight and tense game.

“We said in midweek if we could get in front against Bath, we would have backed ourselves to shut them out, and that’s what we did here.

“We had to defend for our lives today and work so hard. Some of the performances were unbelievable. The two centre backs [Guy Hollis and Sam Togwell] were incredible.

“Chelmsford are a big and strong side, plus their difficult to play against. They put a lot of balls into the box towards the end.

“We just had to sit in, soak it up, hacks things clear and do what you have to do to protect your goal, and we did it brilliantly.”

The win means Slough moved up one place to 10th position in the league table and now just three points outside the play-off spots.

The Rebels turn their attention to the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup and a quarter-finals tie away at league rivals Hungerford Town on Tuesday (7.45pm).