AUSTIN Best scored what surely must be the best goal of his career as Reading City defeated Royal Wootton Bassett 4-3 at Scours Lane on Monday, writes Dave Wright.

City, having gone from 2-1 up to 3-2 down, pulled the scores back level when Best hammered in a shot from all of 40 yards which rocketed over the keeper’s head.

And then skipper Adam Cashin-Murray grabbed a late goal to give his side a victory they thoroughly deserved.

This was a much-needed win following recent events which had seen virtually the whole squad leave the club along with joint-manager Andy Findlay.

But Best stayed loyal and was rewarded with a memorable goal.

City, with several past and current JMA students in their squad, fell behind to a 20th-minute goal from Bassett centre-back Carl Evans, but two goals from Salhin Abubakar in the 46th and 57th minutes put them ahead.

The visitors, fourth in the table, hit back in the next 15 minutes through Matt Bennett and a TJ Bohane penalty and looked to be heading for their first away league win of the season.

But on 78 minutes Best blasted home his sensational equaliser and six minutes later fellow midfielder Cashin-Murray slotted home the winner.

“It was a fantastic performance,” said manager Rob Creech as his side bounced back to form following a 4-1 reverse at Flackwell Heath last Saturday.

“We showed good resilience after twice going behind, and that was really pleasing. I could not fault the effort of the players although we do need to stop giving away soft goals.”

He added: “There have obviously been things happening behind the scenes at the club including a change in the board and that led to an exodus of players, but that happens in many football clubs.

“We really pleased with what we have brought in and we are looking to bring in a couple of more players in the next few days, so I’m really excited for the rest of the season.

“We are still in a good position in the league and we are looking to push on, but we have some games coming up against the top sides.”

Against Flackwell, City fell behind in the 19th minute when Sodike Anyadike-Thompson found the back of the net, and the hosts doubled their lead from the penalty spot when Leius Sinclair fired home from 12 yards on the half-hour mark.

Josh Dillon made it 3-0 in the 37th minute before Ousman Darboe scored his first goal for City on the stroke of half-time.

Any hope the visitors had of pulling themselves back into the contest was all but ended when Lamin Ceesay was sent off in the 69th minute, and Flackwell added a further gloss to the scoreline when Nicholas Grosvenor headed home late on.

City take a breather from league action this Saturday to host Thames Valley Premier League side Berks County in the Reading Senior Cup (2pm).

WOODLEY United picked up their first win in the Hellenic League Division One Subsidiary Cup when they came from behind to beat AFC Aldermaston 3-1 on Tuesday night.

They had fallen to a 2-1 reverse against the same opposition the week before, and Sid Gbla gave the Atom Men a third-minute lead which they held onto for more than an hour.

However, Max Laschok came off the bench to level matters for the Kestrels on 71 minutes, and two goals in the last 10 minutes from Sam Guze helped the away side snatch victory.

Woodley United remain at the bottom of Group B, having picked up three points from four games.

Aldermaston still lead the way with two wins from their three matches, although second-placed Holyport have four points from two. The other team in the group, Wokingham & Emmbrook, have four points from three matches so far.

Woodley United, who are also at the foot of the Division One East standings, will look to rejuvenate their campaign when they return to league action with a trip to Chinnor on Saturday (3pm), before welcoming Wallingford Town to Rivermoor on Monday night (7.45pm).

The Kestrels beat Chalvey Sports 2-0 in their most recent league outing.

AFC Aldermaston were knocked off top spot in the Division One East eable after they were beaten 3-2 at home by Oxfordshire side Milton United on Saturday.

The hosts made a good start and went in front in the 17th minute when a long ball from goalkeeper Ash East was not dealt with, Jamal Forde-Small the beneficiary as he rolled the ball into the net.

Milton hit back, however, levelling midway through the half before Aldermaston were dealt a further blow when Kashif Chowdhary was sent off for a last-man challenge shortly before the half-time interval.

The visitors took advantage of their numerical advantage to go 2-1 up on 65 minutes, and they could have extended their lead only to blaze a penalty over the bar.

Aldermaston took advantage and levelled matters thanks to Josh Blackwood – who later received his marching orders for a second bookable offence – but with time running out, the away side snatched victory.

Jack White, Sam McDermaid and Jack Thompson were the Milton goalscorers.

AFC Aldermaston will hope to return to winning ways when they visit Penn & Tylers Green this coming Saturday (3pm).

They then return to Division One Subsidiary Cup action with an important home game against Holyport on Tuesday night (7.45pm).