WOODLEY United’s dream season continued as they won the Berks & Bucks Intermediate Cup for the first time with a 2-1 success against Marlow United.

Played in front of a crowd just shy of 400 four hundred at Bracknell Town’s Larges Lane ground, Thames Valley League club Marlow started the better of the two sides.

A low cross from the left was cleared from practically the goal-line by Woodley’s Luke Turner. This was to be the first of several key clearances by the left back.

Woodley were looking nervy, with passes going astray, and they were struggling to get a foothold on the game.

Their first real chance saw Greg Beckett pick out Charlie Oakley, who went round keeper Callum Ackerman. Making contact with United’s top scorer, who stayed on his feet, this slowed Oakley’s progress allowing Ackerman to recover and gather the resultant low cross.

Twenty minutes in saw some good hold up play in the Woodley box by Marlow skipper Ollie Flint. With his back to goal, he saw an acrobatic effort miss to the left. Minutes later Turner was once again in the right place to take the ball off Liam Bushay’s feet two yards from goal.

Woodley ended the half well. Danny Horscroft had a shot blocked, while Oakley saw an ambitious bicycle kick from 20 yards miss to the left. The final chance fell to Josh Drew, who forced Ackerman into a fairly routine save.

The second half started in the worst possible way for Woodley as a speculative shot from distance was spilled by keeper Alex Reed into the path of substitute Wes Sutherland, who found the right corner from close range.

Looking for an immediate response Beckett missed to the right from 18 yards.

The game was being played at a frantic tempo, swinging from end to end.

A shot from a tight angle on the left was bravely cleared off the line by Turner who injured himself in the process.

Marlow were not content to sit back and went looking for a second, and Andy Nicol missed to the left while Sutherland forced Reed into a good stop diving to his right.

With 21 minutes to go the scores were level thanks to a superb individual goal by Horscroft.

Latching on to a through ball, he skipped a challenge before going round Ackerman who was off his line quickly; composing himself, the midfielder found the right corner from the left side of the box.

Woodley now had the initiative and Josh Drew had a corner cleared off the line before Ackerman made a brilliant stop to deny Oakley.

Drew was then involved in the game-winning goal with seven minutes left when he raced clear down the left. The Marlow keeper was once again off his line quickly making contact with the ball and deflecting it onto a defender who saw it hit him and go in.

Horscroft could have extended the lead when his near-post free-kick was cleared off the line by James Namyslak.

Marlow ended the game with two half chances – a shot from outside the box was blocked by Woodley captain Jake Nicholls, while Bushay missed to the right as Woodley held on to lift the cup.

Woodley were due to end their Division One East campaign at home to Chalfont Wasps last night.

  • HIGHMOOR Ibis ended the Premier Division season in 14th place following a brace of defeats.

Joe Grant was the Highmoor goalscorer on both occasions as they lost 2-1 at home to Brimscombe & Thrupp on Saturday and 3-1 at Tuffley Rovers on Monday.

  • AFC Aldermaston ended their first Division One East campaign in seventh after losing 1-0 at Chalfont Wasps in their last game of the season.