RICHARD Craven was in fantastic form to claim the honours in Division One of the April Weekend Medal (and Lombard Trophy Qualifier) at Caversham Heath on Saturday.

Craven (1hcp) recorded 10 pars and six birdies in his round of nett 68, coming home in three under par. Archie Smith (5hcp) was second with 69 (13 pars and two birdies) with Benjamin Curran (10hcp), holding off the challenge of Mathew Brakspear (7hcp), Andy King (10hcp) and Gary King (8hcp), all with 74, to finish third.

Division Two winner was Colin Stoute (15hcp) with 70. Runner-up was Darren Lawrence (17hcp) with 71 and third was Craig Hutt (14hcp) with 73.

Javier Dieguez (21hcp) won Division Three with a round of 70. Andy Ward (28hcp) was second with 72 and third was Steve Wright (25hcp) with 73.

Craven, Stoute, Lawrence, Dieguez and Ward all received a one-shot cut in handicap.

Twos were recorded by Brakspear, Glen Dudman, Andy King, Stuart Webb, and Sam Weller (all on the 8th hole); Alan Oliver-Smith (13th hole) and by John Downey, Andy Lambourne, Gary Pugh and Smith (all on the 17th hole).

Andy King (10hcp) won Division One of the April Midweek Stableford, on countback from David Cuthbertson (12hcp), both with 38 points. Countback was needed to find third place with Andy Holmes (15hcp) getting the nod ahead of Andy Horn (14hcp) and James Day (8hcp), all with 37 points.

King recorded 10 pars and Cuthbertson had nine, but ended with a double bogey. Horn also suffered with a double on the last hole.

Division Two winner was Jason Springer (21hcp) with 41 points. Margaret Deighan (36hcp) was runner-up with 37 and third was Jack Bristow (19hcp) with 36 points. Deighan had a chance coming to the last hole, but scored a quadruple bogey.

Cuthbertson, Holmes, Springer and Deighan all saw a one-shot cut in handicap.

Twos were recorded by Brakspear, Ian Coddington, and Barry Reynolds (all on the 8th hole), Will Tate (13th hole) and by Peter Curtis, Horn and Shaun Wharton (all on the 17th hole).

  • WEST Berks seniors won the M4 Seniors Winter League for the second time in the competition’s four-year history last Wednesday and in so doing became the first team to win the trophy twice.

The match against West Middlesex at Richings Park was a tense affair. West Berks were 2-1 up as Ray Pithers and Rob Bridgeman arrived at the 18th green in their match at one up. Bridgeman then putted dead from the fringe, a feat that could not be matched by their rivals and so the match was won 2½-1½.

Tony Atkins followed up his appearance in the M4 final by winning the Saturday Stableford with 37 points, Kevin Hopwood with 36 took second place beating Greg Collins on countback.

Meanwhile, Stuart Smith won the Midweek Stableford with 36 points, four points clear of Colin Harrison, who beat Pete Hill on countback to take second place.

In the team events, the seniors remain unbeaten in their friendly matches after a comprehensive 5½-2½ away win at Sand Martins and the ladies drew their home match against Donnington Grove 2-2.